You can configure your platform to be located at a domain of your own to brand your platform. This will replace the default yoursubdomain.heightsplatform.com .
How to Setup Your Custom Domain
After purchasing a domain name from the registrar of your choice, login to your domain registrar and edit the DNS settings as follows:
Create a CNAME that points to secure.heightsplatform.com. You will likely also want to set a 301 redirect so visitors to the non-www version of your site will be forwarded to the www version or vice-versa.
This process will be the same for most popular domain name registrars ie: Google Domains, Namecheap, GoDaddy, etc.
- Create a CNAME that points to secure.heightsplatform.com. If there is an existing CNAME record for www, adjust it to secure.heightsplatform.com.
- After you have made this change, make sure that you tell your Heights Platform account the domain you would like to use by typing it into the custom domain field of your account settings. It is important to type the domain in the way you want it to display. If you want students to see the www version and type www.yourdomain.com then you should add the www. when inputting your custom domain. Otherwise you can leave it without if you prefer the opposite (yourdomain.com). If you are redirecting the non-www to the www domain, your redirect record value would look like this: https://www.yourdomain.com (note the https://).
- You will want to setup a permanent 301 redirect for your domain inside your domain account so that students are always directed to the correct version of your domain and can visit your platform. Usually this means redirecting the non-www version to always change to www. This is an important step for any website and if you skip it then students may not be able to access your platform.
- After adding the CNAME and saving your custom domain in your account settings, try visiting your domain after a few minutes to see if it displays your Heights Platform account. This process usually takes only a few minutes, but it can sometimes take up to 24 hours for DNS changes to propagate across the internet.
- The first time you visit your custom domain, we will check it and automatically provision a free secure certificate with Let's Encrypt for your domain so that your domain can be served over HTTPS, providing security for you and your students. We'll automatically manage renewals for you. (If you receive a 502 error when visiting your new custom domain, please ensure that you do not have any SSL certificate enabled from your registrar or DNS provider. Since we already offer a certificate for your website, these certificates will conflict with each other.) If you see your program when navigating to your custom domain, you are all set!
If you are unsure how to navigate and adjust your domain's DNS settings we recommend contacting your domain registrar's support. They will be able to help you take care of this process.
Note for Cloudflare users: We recommend turning off Cloudflare on your CNAME by clicking the orange cloud icon to the right of it and making sure it turns grey. We already use Cloudflare in combination with other services to offer you CDN, security, and SSL features for your website.
Haven't linked your custom domain to your account yet? Add a custom domain via your Account Settings page.
NOTE: You may not be able to access your program via your custom domain, and we may not be able to generate an SSL certificate for your domain if these steps are not followed correctly.